AnŠlogo.com

FormatoAnalogo.com

The Analog Hi-Fi Magazine...

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion Forum > Sticky: New Reference System Build Up

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

I just started a rebuild of the Formato Analogo reference system, where most equipment reviews take place. The system will evolve from a home theater to a full stereo system based around the new Dynaudio Contour 20. (See unboxing video here).

I tried my best to integrate stereo audio to my home theater, but the where always compromises. Going full stereo will allow me to maximize my system on a budget. I will keep the same Marantz Reference electronics and Clearaudio Turntable. In contrast, I plan to do from scratch the room acoustics.

The first step was to empty the 12' D x 11'? L x 8' H room; and repair, and paint all the walls in a lighter shade of gray.

The IKEA media storage units that stood at the right wall were relocated to the left side, to provide more entrance space. The power outlet was repositioned below the unit.

--

El AudioAficionado

January 30, 2017 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

I have been working on refinishing and staining my Solid Tech Rack of Silence in a darker wood tone, for a better match with the new room decoration and speakers. I had to hand sand each piece down to the grain, in a tree step process using 80,150 and 220 grid sand paper.

After I completed the sanding, I had to carefully stain the wood and apply a matte clear coat. Then, slightly sand the clear coat with 220 grid sand paper, and finally apply another clear coat. It was a hard and tedious process that took almost a month to complete, but the result looks spectacular and I’m proud of the finish product. There is nothing like doing things yourself!

--

El AudioAficionado

February 8, 2017 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

I bought the Dynaudio model 6 speaker stand to support the Dynaudio Countour 20 bookshelf speakers. Dynaudio provided the stand with a top plate that precisely match the speakers base. You will find steel inserts in the underside of the speaker, that let you screw down the speaker to the stands.

I decided to fill the speakers with silica sand to provide a more rigid and stable platform to the speakers. If you tap the stand filled with silica you will immediately notice the lack of resonance, common in empty stands. This should improve the speaker bass response; the low frequencies should exhibit more control and extension.

--

El AudioAficionado

February 8, 2017 at 7:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WRG

Cuando estará el antes y después listo?

February 11, 2017 at 11:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

I expect the project to be in the final phase by the end of the month.

Now, I'm working on the room acoustic treatment. I started the construction of a suspended PVC facia, that will be covered by MIO Culture Fractals acoustic tiles and will also hold the room illumination. The acoustic tile will help to control the ceilings first audio reflection.

The facia will consist of a braced 4 x 6 x ¾ feet PVC board, suspended with stain less steel hardware. The top will be covered by Auralex absorption panels.

For illumination, I will use Lutron Caseta Wireless system to create three discrete zones..

--

El AudioAficionado

February 18, 2017 at 8:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

For wall acoustic treatment, I used customized Mio Culture acoustic products.

I treated the right wall first sound reflection with four (4) Hex FeltForm tiles, mounted on a flouting 4 x 4 feet frame, leaving a half inch (1/2" ) air gap to enhance the panels effectiveness. The left wall was not directly treated, due to the presence of tow heavy window drapes, that absorb a lot of sound. If needed additional room tuning can be performed with this wall.

As with the celling the back wall was treated with fractals diffusion tiles. I prefer to diffuse the sound to maintain the room liveliness but effectively control the sound decay. If a room is over dampened, with absorption acoustic panels, it becomes musically uncomfortable and harmonically dead. Finding the right balance between absorption and diffusion is the art of room acoustic treatment.

Measurements confirm the effectiveness of the acoustic panels in the room. As we can see the room impulse response is substantially controlled after treatment. Successfully reducing any peaks after the 5-millisecond benchmark. The room ST60 decay result is 4.26, wish is near perfect. This means destructive echo is reduce before it is perceived by the ear.

(Before)

(After)

--

El AudioAficionado

February 23, 2017 at 6:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

Photos of a new white acrylic base for the Lutron Pico Remotes.

--

El AudioAficionado

March 7, 2017 at 6:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

The new FormatoAnalogo.com reference system will be completely wired by Nordost Red Dawn cables. Their extraordinary performance and sound go hand to hand with my musical preference, which made me take the plunge.

--

El AudioAficionado

March 14, 2017 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

Just for fun, last week I worked on custom cable elevators for the Nordost speaker cables. I think they came out nicely!  

I’m already working on the last system details. I hope the unveiling will be ready in the next few weeks, along with the full review of the Dynaudio Contour 20 speakers.

--

El AudioAficionado

March 28, 2017 at 6:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

After waiting for two month, I just received the las esthetic and acoustic pice for the room, a 4 x 4 feet custom framed wall paint.

I filled the space between the canvas and the wall with 9 tiles of aural absorption material, to help control front wall reflections and the room decay time.

The acoustic room measurements show the effectiveness of the treatment in the 1 kHz frequency region.

(Before)

(After)

If you are asking what im going to do to treat the frequency peak at 50hz, I still have not fund an efficient way to do it without affecting other frequencies. Also, this are the room natural resonant frequency, due to it dimensions. I’ll keep you posted when i find a viable solution.

In the mean time, I chose the Contour 20 bookshelf speaker knowing my room limitations on the low frequencies. The low frequency extension of this speakers is enough to fill the room with clean deep bass, while the room help fill the missing bass extension.

--

El AudioAficionado

April 14, 2017 at 11:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

The final product!

Associate equipment :

Turntable: Clearaudio Champion / Unify Tonearm 9√???

CD player: Marantz SA-15s2 Limited

Integrated amplifier : Marantz PM-15s2 Limited

Cartridge: Ortofon Quintet Black (MC)

Step up transformer: Ortofon ST-7

Speakers: Dynaudio Contour 20 / Stands Dynaudio Model 6

Power conditioner: Furman Elite-15 PFi

Interconnect cables: Nordost √??? Red Dawn (0.6m) (RCA)

Speaker Cables: Nordost - Red Dawn LS (2.5m)

Power Cables: Nordost - Red Dawn (1m)

Acoustic treatment : MioCulture

--

El AudioAficionado

April 14, 2017 at 11:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Reynaldo

Eduardo the room came out excellent and the transformation was night and day. I love your attention to detail and having been in the room and listen to the finish product I can tell you that the musical experience was like non other. You manage acoustically threat the room in a very discrete way that gave it that touch of elegance. The definition of a true home Hifi room. Job Well Done!

May 8, 2017 at 4:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

Thank you Rey, appreciate your comments. How is your new audio room project going?

--

El AudioAficionado

June 1, 2017 at 7:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

I finally found a solution to my low frequency issues, using Viacoustic Bass traps. This panels are Optimized for corner mounting and have an elegant front panel. They use a membrane, two high-density foam layers and a micro-perforated rear panel, that acts as a Helmholtz resonator. These traps should provide effective low frequency absorption between 60–125 Hz.

Again, measurements confirm the traps effectiveness on the room. Frequency and impulse response show improvements. Also, this graph make no justice on the effect they had on the room sound characteristics. Now I’m satisfied with the room acoustics, any changes in the future will have to be carefully plan to avoid messing things up.

(Before)

(After)

--

El AudioAficionado

August 4, 2017 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rafa

"AudioAficionado" at February 8, 2017 at 7:19 PM

I bought the Dynaudio model 6 speaker stand to support the Dynaudio Countour 20 bookshelf speakers. Dynaudio provided the stand with a top plate that precisely match the speakers base. You will find steel inserts in the underside of the speaker, that let you screw down the speaker to the stands.

I decided to fill the speakers with silica sand to provide a more rigid and stable platform to the speakers. If you tap the stand filled with silica you will immediately notice the lack of resonance, common in empty stands. This should improve the speaker bass response; the low frequencies should exhibit more control and extension.

Hola, en donde conseguiste la arena silica? Home Depot solamente trae arena regular. Me gustaría hacer lo mismo con los stands de mis bocinas. Gracias.
August 28, 2017 at 4:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"AudioAficionado"
Site Owner

Saludos Rafa, bienvenido al foro de FormatoAnalogo.com

El saco de arena de silica lo puedes conseguir en Mobile Paints localisado en la Ave. Matadero en Guaynabo. Si mal no recuerdo, el de 50 libras no cuesta más de $20 dolares y te debe sobrar arena si solo vas a llenar dos estanes.

--

El AudioAficionado

August 28, 2017 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.